Login to How to Join About Email

Language Courses

Most au pairs attend language courses once or twice a week while they are in Britain as it is a way to improve their English and make new friends at the same time. Families must make time to allow au pairs to attend these language courses.

Students from non-European Union countries have to pay a higher fee for their classes than European Union students. Most au pairs will fund the cost of the language courses themselves although some families may choose to make a contribution to the cost. The au pair will also have to pay for any course books and exam fees.

Finding a language course

Your family should provide help with finding a course and you can also use our database of language schools. Click here.

Adult education centres, colleges of further education, universities and private colleges may all run courses for foreign students. There will be more choice in cities than in rural areas.

Courses suitable for au pairs are often called 'English as a foreign language' EFL or 'English for speakers of other languages' ESOL. There are many different levels of these courses ranging from basic to advanced.

University of Cambridge courses

University of Cambridge (UCLES) courses run all over the UK and are very popular with au pairs. They can choose whether to sit exams at the end. The exams are an extra cost but the au pair will have a qualification to take home. The different course levels are pre-intermediate, intermediate, first certificate, advanced and proficiency.

Use our map and database to find the language schools in your area.

Learn direct (telephone 0800 100 901) is a free national learning advice line which will also tell you some of the courses available in your area.

The website has information on many language courses and you can search by area - use the "Back" arrow key if you wish to return to the website.

Terms and Conditions  Privacy  FAQs  Site Map